Your dog’s chewing can end tragically

A wonderful friend to this site, whom we appreciate very much, told us of a tragic story of the loss of a puppy to her good friend because the puppy consumed fishing line and the veterinarian was not astute enough to recognize the problem.

Please let’s all do our best to see these things don’t happen.

Dogs are very much like children and, like our friend so accurately pointed out, will always be our dependent children in spite of advancing years and must be protected like children. They are curious and experience a lot of their world through their mouthing and like to chew on their toys and whatever else grabs their attention.

Dogs can sometimes swallow harmful objects that can affect their health and in the case of this one puppy produced a tragic end. It is important that we protect our canine family members from ingesting dangerous foreign bodies.

Foreign objects can become lodged in the stomach and intestines creating a deadly obstruction. Non-food items commonly ingested include but are not limited to toys, string, clothing, and plastic. Any object your dog chews on can become a foreign body problem.

Dogs of any age are susceptible to ingesting inappropriate objects but this is most commonly seen in young dogs less than 2 years of age.

Watch for signs of gastrointestinal upset such as refusing to eat, vomiting, drooling or abnormal bowel movements. If you have any questions, contact your veterinarian. If you happen to notice a foreign object, such as a string, protruding from the rectum, do not pull the object out – consult your vet immediately.

The best prevention of ingesting inappropriate objects is to prevent access to such objects. Keep dangerous objects away and only allow your dog to chew on toys that cannot be swallowed. Never allow string or clothing to become chew objects.

Click this way for Kong and other quality chew toys…

Bookmark and Share


1 Response to “Your dog’s chewing can end tragically”

  1. 1 Laurel LaFlamme, SC Animal Care August 19, 2008 at 6:16 am

    Thank you so much for emphasizing this subject. The more people who are hearing about this are recollecting tales of their own Pets who have had precarious “chewing” no-no’s. Someone told me that her dog used to eat and swallow socks. Another told me her dog had a fixation with chewing electrical cords in the house..and the list goes on.

    The stories they tell are animated and in the moment they are really funny stories. The reality is that these Dogs are manifesting a problem.

    Being unsupervised, separation anxiety, living in an un-puppy proofed home, and often times simply not enough stimulating chews meant for Dogs.

    It’s great that you promote and educate folks about these products. Sometimes Pet Owners just need creative ideas as to what to get for Rover…or FiFi.

    I submitted your Blog Post to Digg:

    Many others need to be aware BEFORE a tragedy happens. It’s NOT funny if your Dog eats your socks. It’s something that needs to be rectified.

    Thank you for spreading the love.

    How much is that Doggie in the Window? Priceless.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

CLICK on the BOOK BELOW to GET Your FREE Gift from CalloftheDog:
Click Below to Access All Our Articles!

Jay Jacovitz, EzineArticles Platinum Author

1-of-a-Kind Product to Help Beat Your Dog’s Cancer — CLICK HERE

Dr. Andrew Jones Shows You How To Slash Your Vet Bills

Are You Poisoning Your Dog? Learn What’s Really In Dog Food


Enter your email address to follow CalloftheDog and receive notifications of new posts by email.