Dog Poison – A Veterinarian Did Not Know What Is Known Since 1989

I have included this in the Blog because it came to me in an E-mail. Not only is it important information but it is even more urgent because it reflects the knowledge or lack there of a particular veterinarian at this late date on a very important issue. Where there is one who is ill-informed there are others and it is this Blogs opinion that the veterinarian should be on the front line to disseminate such vital information. What is troubling is that this information was made public by the A.S.P.C.A. in 1989!

See http://www.callofthedog.com/dogpoisons.php

The name of the veterinarian has been omitted, our purpose is to deliver vital information that apparently has gaps in the first line of the delivery system not to draw attention or embarrass an individual even though it was a public E-mail.

Below is the actual E-mail I received today:

“IF YOU HAVE A dog… PLEASE read this and send it on.
If you don’t have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.

Written by:
XXXX XXXXXX, DVM
XXXXXXX Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old mal e neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn’t call my emergency service until 7AM.
I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn’t seen any formal paper on the
subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me – had heard something about it, but…. Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.
The dog’s BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at
5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.
He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications a
nd they still couldn’t control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.
This is a very sad case – great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.
Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler’s. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.
Even if you don’t have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.
Confirmation from Snopes about the above…”

You can read more about poisons in food that can be fatal to your dog by clicking on this link right here:

http://www.CalloftheDog.com/dogpoisons.php

Main Website: http://www.CalloftheDog.com

Quality Pet Supplies: http://www.CalloftheDogShop.com

Bookmark and Share

Advertisements

0 Responses to “Dog Poison – A Veterinarian Did Not Know What Is Known Since 1989”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




CLICK on the BOOK BELOW to GET Your FREE Gift from CalloftheDog:
Click Below to Access All Our Articles!

Jay Jacovitz, EzineArticles Platinum Author

1-of-a-Kind Product to Help Beat Your Dog’s Cancer — CLICK HERE

Dr. Andrew Jones Shows You How To Slash Your Vet Bills

Are You Poisoning Your Dog? Learn What’s Really In Dog Food

CalloftheDog’s MOST RECOMMENDED:

Enter your email address to follow CalloftheDog and receive notifications of new posts by email.